WARNING: If you're not into foul language, terrible spelling and grammar, or a considerable amount of blaspheming, LOOK AWAY!

Thursday, 29 August 2013

Back by popular demand.

I know myself pretty well.

I can procrastinate the shit out of any task.

Specially the ones I set for myself.

 

In light of that, I should have called this blog “Places They Went”.

And so, without further adieu, a blog post…

 

Tonight we’re in Kununurra.

A bees dick from the Northern Territory border & a few weeks shy of a return to Western Sydney.

Plenty of time for Hawesbury City Council to organise my ticker tape parade down the main street of Windsor?

 

We’ve swapped the blues, greens, & whites of the WA coast for the reds, browns, & browns of the Kimberly.

 

It’s hot out here during the day.

 

There’s bush fires burning & the car’s struggling along at 80k’s an hour.

IMG_0829 

We’re skipping all the “good bits” of the area that we desperately want to see because we’ve added an EXTRA YEAR to our travel itinerary! Yikes.

We need to ditch the van (it won’t follow us where Laithe we want to go) & come back in a couple of dry seasons with a camp trailer that’s properly set up for exploring.

 

We’ve spent the last 2 weeks in beautiful Broome.

Have you ever been?

 

You should totally go.

 

In winter.

IMG_6653

When you walk over the hill to get to Cable beach, it’s just like a scene from a postcard. 

 

We rendezvoused, at Palm Grove Holiday Resort, with some professional Grey Nomads we know.

The kids call them “Nanny & Pa”.

 

There were 2 shower blocks at Palm Grove. The big block gets a 2 Pubes rating & the small block a 3, based mainly on size.

 

In the small block, the showers were tiny & the bacterial breeding ground shower curtain kept sticking to my arse every time I turned around.

 

The other Grandparents flew in in style for a few days before taking off on their own 5 day Gibb River Road adventure.

 

But everyone who’s anyone was present for Miss G’s, long awaited, 6th birthday which happened to fall on the first night of Staircase to the Moon.

Three nights a month, on the full moon, the tide goes out exposing the mudflats of Roebuck Bay. It looks like a “staircase to the moon”…

IMG_6288

We all headed down to Town Beach for some nibbles, wine & cake.

IMG_6267 

Anyway. All Georgie wanted for her birthday was to get her ears pierced, excuse me!

 

She’s been banging on about it for months.

 

We talked it over, explained it all, mentioned it would hurt a bit, but she wasn’t phased.

So off we went to the chemist.

 

The one that looked like it’d have the lowest rate of staph infections per piercing.

IMG_0762

Dotting the i’s…

IMG_0763

Shitting the pants…

IMG_0765

Happy as Larry.

 

She skipped & danced & yahooed her way out of there, & we couldn’t wipe the smile off her face.

 

After the body mutilation & the festivities, we took in the sights of Broome.

Spent a few days enjoying both ends of the iconic Cable Beach.

Watched a few local heroes spring into action to save some vehicles left unattended, facing certain doom, as the 9 meter tide inched quickly up the beach.

Bid farewell to the Grey Nomads as they headed off in the opposite direction to us.

Saw a few decent sunsets over the Indian Ocean.

IMG_6100

 

Enjoyed a few beers at Matso’s Brewery…

IMG_0812

Not to mention the BEST $10 bowl of chips ever eaten…

IMG_6543

And went to the markets about 4 times during our stay.

I also spent way too much money on pearls. But hey, it’s Broome. You’re almost obligated to buy pearls there.

 

Laithe & Georgie enjoyed a trip to the museum with Nan & Pop, while I stayed home with a sleeping monster. (Museums are not for him).

 

Not wanting to miss out, I managed to take in the Broome Cup & the Roebuck Bay Hotel’s Wednesday night Wet T-shirt Competition some other cultural experiences Broome has on offer.

I caught up with friends from Cairns, drank beer, & even managed a filthy McDonalds run at 1am. None of which I regret.

IMG_0748

 

We finished off our awesome stay in Broome with more beer & chips at Matso’s & another sunset at Cable Beach.

IMG_6657

 

Oh, Broome.

 

How I love thee.

 

But I’m afraid, if we’d stayed any longer I would have become obese.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I have missed these posts.........so pleased you are back and have added an extra year for us to hear more about your fablulous adventures with the family! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete